Dear CQE friends,
Below pls. find some infos related to one of the renowed and well known quality guru - Dr. Joseph Moses Juran.
Joseph Moses Juran (December 24, 1904 – February 28, 2008) was a 20th century management consultant who is principally remembered as an evangelist for quality and quality management, writing several influential books on those subjects. He was the brother of Academy Award winner Nathan H. Juran.
Dr. Joseph M. Juran Contributions
Pareto principleIt was in 1941 that Juran discovered the work of Vilfredo Pareto. Juran expanded the Pareto principle applying it to quality issues (for example, 80% of a problem is caused by 20% of the causes). This is also known as "the vital few and the trivial many". In later years Juran has preferred "the vital few and the useful many" to signal that the remaining 80% of the causes should not be totally ignored.
Juran is widely credited for adding the human dimension to quality management. He pushed for the education and training of managers. For Juran, human relations problems were the ones to isolate. Resistance to change—or, in his terms, cultural resistance—was the root cause of quality issues. Juran credits Margaret Mead's book Cultural Patterns and Technical Change for illuminating the core problem in reforming business quality. He wrote Managerial Breakthrough, which was published in 1964, outlining the issue.
Juran's vision of quality management extended well outside the walls of the factory to encompass non-manufacturing processes, especially those that might be thought of as service related. For example, in an interview published in 1997 he observed:
The key issues facing managers in sales are no different than those faced by managers in other disciplines. Sales managers say they face problems such as "It takes us too long...we need to reduce the error rate." They want to know, "How do customers perceive us?" These issues are no different than those facing managers trying to improve in other fields. The systematic approaches to improvement are identical. ... There should be no reason our familiar principles of quality and process engineering would not work in the sales process.
He also developed the "Juran's trilogy," an approach to cross-functional management that is composed of three managerial processes: quality planning, quality control and quality improvement.
During his 1966 visit to Japan, Juran learned about the Japanese concept of Quality Circles which he enthusiastically evangelized in the West. Juran also acted as a matchmaker between U.S. and Japanese companies looking for introductions to each other.
Transferring quality knowledge between East and West
Later life and deathJuran was active well into his 90s and only gave up international travel at age 86. His accomplishments during the second half of his life include:
- Consulting for U.S. companies such as Armour and Company, Dennison Manufacturing Company, Merck, Sharp & Dohme, Otis Elevator Company, Xerox, and the United States Navy Fleet Ballistic Missile System.
- Consulting for Western European and Japanese companies such as Rolls-Royce Motors, Philips, Volkswagen, Royal Dutch Shell and Toyota Motor Company
- Pro-bono consulting for Soviet-Bloc countries (Hungary, Romania, Czechoslovakia, Russia, Poland, Yugoslavia)
- Founding the Juran Institute and the Juran Foundation.
Juran died of a stroke at age 103 in Rye, New York.
Will keep posting.
E : firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
M : +6012-505 2720
T : +605-805 2722
F : +605-805 2721
B : http://cqeblog.blogspot.com/
W : http://www.cqetraining.com/